16 May, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Spring 2014 - Mini Quilt Entry


Thank you to Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side for organizing the Blogger's Quilt Festivals.
It is a biannual event held during quilt market in the Spring and Fall.
Please click on the link below to visit the
where you will find LOTS of inspiration!

 Spring '14 Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com

I have enjoyed viewing the quilts entered in previous Festivals.
This is my first entry.
Please check out all of the participants' entries.
Every single entry is wonderful!
Best wishes to all the talented quilters out there!!!

The Blogger's Quilt Festival categories include:

  I thought it would be fun to enter
 my Feathered Star quilt that I named
"Sweetheart"


The finished size is a little less that 9 inches square
so you will find it in the
Mini Quilt Category.



Feathered Stars are one of my favorites.
I enjoy the challenge of piecing them in any size
using traditional methods for piecing Feathered Stars.


I machine quilted 'Sweetheart' with 100 wt. silk thread
on my Bernina Virtuosa 150.
The quilting is stitched at approximately 34 spi.
  

'Sweetheart' has 121 pieces in the block, plus 4 borders.
I drafted the quilt on paper and cut templates to size the pieces.
I don't do a lot of miniature quilts. When I do I sew pieces, like HSTs, in a larger size and cut them down to size before assembling the pieces into sections and the sections into the finished block.
The seams in this top were pressed open when necessary to facilitate assembly -- just like I would do with a much larger block.
Same techniques - smaller size.


The top was pieced about 7 or 8 years ago;
made from leftovers from another project.
The finished top was put away without being quilted
until earlier this year.
After a very stressful time in my life this little quilt
provided some much needed quilting therapy.
If you follow my blog you may have seen it before here.

 Voting for 'Viewer's Choice' takes place from May 24-29, 2014.
I would be honored if you would consider voting for my little 'Sweetheart.'


16 comments:

SarahZ said...

Oh my! Such a lovely Sweetheart! The workmanship in this is just wonderful!

Jeanneke said...

I will vote for your great, fantastic 'Sweetheart'!!

Hope you're all doing fine.
Lieve groetjes,

Jeanneke.

Barbara said...

Beautiful colirs. Great piecing!

pinsandneedles said...

Very tiny feathered star! Pretty!

Jennie said...

The quilting is amazing on such a small quilt!

Mary said...

The Feathered Star is on my May for ME Bucket list! Yours is Very tiny! I LOVE it!! Congrats on your first Mini entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Quilt Therapy Works!

CitricSugar said...

Teeny tiny piecing thrills me - and you quilting is lovely. Beautiful work!

Quilting Babcia said...

Sweet mini quilt - love it!

Vivian said...

Great work! Doing a Feathered Star is hard enough but doing it the size you did it is very impressive! Love the quilting you did on it as well.

Renee said...

Lovely little quilt and beautiful quilting!

Yvonne Campbell said...

This is a pretty mini and the quilting is delightful.

Nini And The Sea said...

This is beautiful! Excellent job!

a maidenhair fern said...

What a beautiful piece. the negative space is unique, and shows off your beautiful free motion quilting. And your piecing is exquisite! I just try one.

Kamila @ Work-With-Patches said...

Beautiful star quilt! What a lovely quilting! Great job!
Greetings from Poland
Kamila

Wendy said...

so beautiful! what fabulous quilting

Nupur said...

This is just darling!